Carpets provide a feeling of sophistication and elegance in your house, and it’s pretty frustrating to spot a stain on your carpet. It is advisable to keep drinks be it red wine or tea as far as possible from carpets, but we all know accidents are bound to happen every now and then.
One of the most popular soft drinks in the world, coke drinks are found in pretty all the homes across the world. With this in mind, it is possible to get a coke stain on your carpet.
So, how do you get coke stains off your carpet? Fret not as there are easy steps you can follow to remove the coke stain completely from your carpet.
However, before we start, if there is a manufacturer’s instruction about your carpet, you might want to read it and understand it before applying any solution.
Steps to Remove Coke Stains from Carpet with Club Soda
Being carbonated water, club soda is a great product to use to remove coke stain from your carpet. It leaves behind no residue hence doesn’t need to be rinsed out once you apply it. This characteristic makes it safe to use on your carpet.
Step by Step Procedure:
- First, use the spoon to scrape and scoop up any excess spillage. Make sure you start at the edge and work towards the center to avoid spreading the stain.
- Use white paper towels to blot up the coke spill. Continue to use fresh towels to press down on the spot firmly until there’s no more liquid being soaked up.
- Pour club soda on a clean towel and dab at the stained area without rubbing or scrubbing. Keep repeating this until the color transfer on the cloth is nil.
- Use a detergent solution and gently sponge the stain to dampen the carpet fibers, leave to stand for a few minutes, followed by pressing a clean cloth over the area to absorb excess moisture.
- Make sure there are no watermarks left by using a cloth to dry by hard pressing on the spot.
- After the carpet is completely dry, you should vacuum it thoroughly to reset the pile.
Note that: You will probably have to repeat the procedure a few times for efficiency, but the final rinse helps to remove residues that can re-attract dirt and also helps with returning the carpet to its original way.
Steps to Remove Coke Stains from Carpet Using Liquid Detergent
If you have no club soda around, you can also use liquid detergent to remove the coke stain from your carpet. Just make sure the detergent is mild to prevent ruining the carpet.
Step By Step Procedure:
- Blot the area as much as possible to remove the liquid. You can use a rake to widen the spaces between the carpet fibers. Avoid scrubbing the carpet as will only spread it further.
- Pour a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon of liquid detergent of your choice and 1/2 cup cold water onto the coke stain.
- Blot up the stained area again using another clean, dry cloth. Allow the area to dry fully.
- Thoroughly vacuum after the stain has dried. This ensures all dry bits of residue will be sucked away and also helps fluff the carpet fibers back to a normal appearance.
- If the stain is still visible, use a carpet stain remover but be sure to follow the remover’s instructions to avoid damaging the carpet.
- Note that, in the case of old stains, you might have to repeat this process a couple of times.
Steps to Remove Coke Stains from Carpet Using White Vinegar
White vinegar is another great product to use when removing coke stain for your carpet since it does not contain a coloring agent. Therefore, just follow the right steps and your coke stain will disappear in minutes.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Blot with a white paper towel or cloth and remove as much of the stain as possible.
- Neutralize with a white vinegar solution (1/3 cup White vinegar in 2/3 cup of water). Saturate the stain spot with white vinegar solution using a spray bottle.
- Blot to remove excess moisture.
- Apply detergent solution in small quantities and use a blotting motion to work the detergent into the affected area.
- Blot with a white paper towel until the stain disappears and then rinse using tap water and then dry the area to remove excess moisture.
- Using a spray bottle, spray water lightly and do not blot.
- Apply a pad of paper with a bit of weight on it and allow drying.
- 8. Repeat the blotting process until the carpet is stain-free.
Keep in mind, if there’s a stain on the carpet you are damping is not removing, use 3% of hydrogen peroxide on the stain.
Steps to Remove Coke Stains on Carpet with Ammonia
Diluted ammonia is used as a cleaning agent but under conservative and minimal use. As a safety precaution, never mix ammonia with chlorine bleach.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Make a solution of 1 tablespoon ammonia to 1 cup water.
- Place the ammonia solution in a spray bottle and lightly spray the solution onto the stain.
- Use a clean paper towel or cloth to blot the stain.
- Make a solution of ¼ teaspoon clear dish soap and 1 cup water.
- Use a cloth to apply the dish soap solution to the cola stain.
- Continue blotting the stain with the dish soap solution until the stain is gone.
- Use a spray bottle to spray the area and rinse using cold water and blot the area with a cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Place a clean paper towel or dry cloth over the area and set a weight on top of the cloth while leaving it to dry.
- When using ammonia, make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves.
As you can see, it’s pretty straightforward on how to remove coke stain from carpet. Of course, you need the right supplies and follow the above steps to the letter.
To avoid damaging your carpet, familiarize yourself with manufacturers’ instructions when applying these methods. Also worth noting, there are professional carpet cleaners who can help in case the methods don’t work for you.